Published on: 10 June, 2021 / 12:32
Written by: Suranjan Das
Is Bet365 legal in India?
India has a complicated legal landscape when it comes to online casinos, and it is not really easy to figure out which sites are legal and which are not. One of the common questions a lot of readers ask us is whether Bet365 is legal in India. The quick answer to that is, yes! Bet365 is perfectly legal in India.
We cover this issue deeper in this blog but here’s a quick summary:
- Bet365 is an international online casino that is regulated by an international licensing body.
- According to Indian laws, international online casinos that are regulated and follow all the local laws can operate legally.
- However, there are three states in India where online gambling is prohibited explicitly by state-level laws. These states are Tamil Nadu, Telangana, and Andhra Pradesh.
- CasinoFree SpinsBonusInfo
- -100% up to
- Globally recognized betting platform
- High-quality online casino games
- Unrivaled sports betting experience
Open an account with bet365 today and bet on a huge range of markets with the world’s favourite online sports betting company. T&Cs apply. 18+, begambleaware.org.
A quick legal overview
Bet365 is one of the leading online gambling brands worldwide. The company is based in the United Kingdom but has offices in various locations and serves multiple markets internationally. The brand’s online sportsbook and casino service are also open to the Indian market.
While Indian laws prevent land-based casinos in most parts of the country, online gambling is something that is still not properly defined in the legal context here.
Making things more complicated is the fact that gambling laws are a state subject in India. What this means, in simple words, is that laws regarding gambling are to be enacted by individual states for their jurisdiction and not at the central level. This is why states like Goa allow land-based gambling too.
Some states like Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and Telangana have come out with laws that prevent online gambling but for the rest of the country, online gambling is perfectly legal.
While the answer to “is Bet365 legal in India?” is yes, there are still some things to consider. For example, even though online casinos can operate in the unregulated market, they still have to follow central-level laws like the FEMA Act, 1999. We have covered the local laws later in this article if you’re curious. We can also say confidently that Bet365 is a reputed online brand that follows strict compliance procedures of all the markets it operates in. You can learn more by reading our Bet365 review.
If you’re looking for a legal sportsbook and online casino in India, we would highly recommend trying out Bet365, not only because it is a reputed and trusted brand, but also because of the magnitude of its welcome bonus that’s available to every new player that signs up!
Claiming Bet365’s bonus from India
Claiming Bet365’s 100% matched bonus up to ₹10,000 is fairly simple. All you need to do in order to claim the bonus is:
- Register an account at Bet365.
- Make a minimum deposit of ₹500 and click on the check box to apply for the bonus.
- Once your deposit gets through, the bonus amount would be automatically credited to your account.
Why are online casinos legal in India?
Given the current legal landscape in India, there are no laws that prevent international online casinos from accepting Indian players. However, there are some laws that online casinos like Bet365 have to comply with such as the FEMA Act, 1999 which makes it mandatory for online casinos to support the INR as a currency on its platform for Indians.
Additionally, international casino sites also have to comply with AML (Anti-money laundering) regulations and have a KYC process in place for onboarding new customers.
So while India is an unregulated market, there are still some laws in place that needs to be followed by online casinos. Additionally, speculative income is also taxable in India and any such income made by any citizen has to be reported in their Income Tax Returns and taxes need to be paid accordingly.
Is Bet365 safe?
Bet365 is one of the most well-known online bookmakers worldwide. In our review of the online casino, we go over various checks to ensure that each site is legitimate and safe for our readers.
Here are some of the checks that we go through:
- The online casino is an international brand.
- The online casino is regulated by a global licensing body like the Malta Gaming Authority (MGA). No Indian company can create online casinos, only sites for games of skill like Poker and Rummy.
- The online casino has a solid track of customer service.
- The online casino has excellent and legitimate third-party reviews online.
You can learn more about our process here.
What payment methods work on Bet365?
Bet365 accepts all the common payment methods for online casinos in India such as VISA, MasterCard, Neteller, Skrill, and EcoPayz. It also supports UPI payments which makes playing on the online casino much more convenient for Indians since the transactions are free and fee-less.
Bet365 is legal in India.
In summary, playing on Bet365 is legal in India, except for the following states - Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and Telangana.